We have received multiple reports of a scammer approaching altcoins / ICO projects offering to "add your coin to our platform" pretending to be us.
Usually the scam will be carried out as follows:
- The scammer sends a phishing email spoofing our contact mail address and asking for BTC in exchange for "adding your coin to our platform".
- Our DNS tells the recipient's mail server "this is not bitbank" and the mail is sent to their spam folder.
- The scammer then contacts the altcoin / ICO via Telegram "bitbank_inc" account (not related to us)
- The scammer tells them to check their spam folder in case the "limited time offer" was "accidentally" sent there.
- The victim sees our official Twitter account is bitbank_inc and assumes the Telegram bitbank_inc account is also us. (This is wrong)
- The victim pays the "fee" to the scammer.
- The scammer ceases all communication, and the victim contacts our official support.
Please do not fall victim to this scam. Here are some ways to verify communications with us.
- Make sure that the DKIM signatures and SPF checks on all emails are valid. (Gmail will usually send invalid mails to the spam folder and also mark them with "!" markings instead of an icon next to the From address.)
- Never trust an email that is sent to your spam folder. Especially one asking for money. Anyone telling you that an email in your spam folder is fine is most likely lying to you.
- Contact us via our official support email before performing any action: firstname.lastname@example.org